Tuesday, November 2, 2010

#4

hello there!

Its been a while since ive updated the blog so i have a bit to show. First off can I just say that I am really happy with what I am making!it makes going to college everyday so much easier!



I have made 2 round molds both different sizes. I make these balls by throwing cylinders and placing them inside the mold. I then join both sides together to make a ball. The one above is hollow. This is made out of stoneware. I made one in procelain also. I really liked throwing with porcelain however I found that it did not work as well as the stoneware. It didnt stick and hold together like the stoneware did. It also dried so fast I ditn even get a chance to tidy it up and it ended up cracking and falling to pieces!





The pieces above are hollow, but I have also made some solid ones aswell, which are full up with cylinders. I really like them aswell. A few weeks I was experimenting with cutting these ones up. I did it with another one I made the other day aswel. 







I like these pieces alot. I think the inside looks kind of mechanical. Like the inside of a clock. I am going to incorporate this into my final pieces. 
I have also made small hollow balls and small solid balls. I really like the small balls, i think the scale suits the form.












I am thinking about cutting up the solid pieces like the ones above and leaving the hollows as wholes so that there is a combination of both.
Another area I also explored was relating my pieces to what ceramics is traditionally associated with which is the vessel. So I put a bowl shape in one of the balls to see what it would be like. Turns out I don't like it at all. But at least I tried it! I dont like how the cylinders sit in this piece.





So now that I know what I'm actually doing I just need to start thrwoing these balls out as quick as possible. I want to make loads and loads. the more the better I think. I will also need quite a few for glaze testing and that!Thanks x

1 comment:

  1. Great work Laura!!!
    They are absolutely beautiful :) and the patterns inside are great as well :)
    Also it is WAY EASIER to read when you are using the skinny font :)

    Keep up the good work and have fun :) that's what it's all about :)

    ReplyDelete